How to Play QWOP
Game instructions and controls
Let’s begin with the game official instructions:
- Alternatively hold Q and W to swing your thighs.
- Alternatively hold O and P to swing your calves.
- It is possible to run like a normal human being, with skill and practice.
- There is a surprise waiting for you at 50m, and another at 100m.
- Try tapping ‘O’ at the beginning to start yourself leaning forward, before you move your legs.
- Press ‘R’ anytyme to restart.
How to run
Beyond the basic controls, here is how to run with our rag doll athlete, in short:
- The main technique consists in hitting WO and then PQ.
- If you start falling backward, press WP as a last resort.
Watch this video tutorial to learn the basics: controls, marching, running, disaster recovery, and 100 meters run:
To beat QWOP, you will need both Patience (a lot of it) and Rythm.
You can march by making longer strides (safer) or run with shorter strides (faster).
The next video will show you how to run, crawl, get past the hurdle at 50 meters, and other tips:
The main cheat in QWOP is the infamous crawl walking, a technique which basically consists in sliding along on your knees.
If you can’t get QWOP running properly, try pressing Q then W, and just alternate between them: get on one knee, and then keep pushing W then Q to crawl across 100 meters.
Just make sure you don’t fall backward.
Watch the following video to see how to do the cheat: